2018 DATES CONFIRMED: Monday 17 to Thursday 20 December 2018
Melissa Webster (owner and creator of Let’s Talk Kids) will be running a summer program for primary school aged children interested in developing their Speech and Drama skills.
This program is designed to be undertaken by students who may have not attempted any formal speech and drama training prior, however it is ideal for:
- Students who wish to perform in eisteddfods and competitions
- Students who have a genuine love to stand in front of an audience
- Students who have strong voices and wish to learn skills to make their voices even more effective
- Students who want to learn performing art skills in the holidays
- Students who already enjoy Speech and Drama and wish to be further extended in the art of Drama
There will be two class groups run by Melissa Webster and three other qualified Trinity teachers will be assisting. Teachers will also have assistants (student actors/teachers) to help facilitate.
Due to the increase in Enrolments/Eisteddfod teams this year, we will be capping the workshop at 45 students.
To ensure a specialised experience for all students there will be a limit of 25 per class group. Classes will be age specific:
- Class 1: aged 5-7 years: Prep - Year 2
- Class 2: aged 8-12 years: Year 3 – Year 7
ENROLMENTS WILL OPEN IN NOVEMBER 2018
Each day children will need to bring their own lunch and afternoon tea. Children should to wear clothes that allow free movement. Please no skirts or high cut shorts.
On the last day of the program, parents are invited at 3:45pm to watch a student devised presentation that their child has created. At the end of this 40 minute presentation, children are invited to stay for pizza. Whilst children are enjoying their celebrations parents will be invited to watch their children in tv advertisements they have created during the workshop.
Each day classes will run from 10am until 4pm and will be held in the air conditioned studios in the Junior School Speech and Drama Room at Ormiston College (Dundas Street West, Ormiston).
All prices are for four days of tuition. All prices include GST.
One student: $280. Multiple students: $260 each for siblings.
Returning students (who have attended a Summer workshop with LTK prior):
One student: $245. Multiple students: $235 each for siblings.
DAY 1 - MONDAY
Introduction to the basics of Speech and Drama
Children will take part in age appropriate exercises that address:
- The Importance of posture for stage,
- Using modulative devices such as pitch, pace, pause, emphasis, volume.
- Vocal expression
- Importance of body language
- Importance of positive thinking and confidence
- Children will take part in trust exercises that will increase a sense of bonding and trust amongst the group.
DAY 2 - TUESDAY
Acting techniques and vocal production
Children will learn the basics of acting in a variety of roll play situations with costumes and props
Children will learn how to use their voice effectively without using volume
Children will use age appropriate scripts, prose and poetry work.
Children will work in pairs and then individually.
DAY 3 - WEDNESDAY
Playbuilding and TV ad creation
By now we know the skills and strengths of your child.
We now workshop and create a performance suitable for an audience. In the process children are exposed to:
- Use of props
- Taught and reinforced skills in timing, voice production etc.
- Basic film making techniques and drama creation with specialists.
DAY 4 - THURSDAY
Students start their final day with vocal and physical warm ups
They take part in improvisation activities and creative movement
Students split into groups and rehearse for parent presentation at 3:45pm.
At the end of the presentation all children are presented with a LTK Certificate of Attendance.
All children who enrol in the program need to fill out a parent/caregiver consent medical note. Once accepted into the program this will be sent out to you.
When we have received this and payment of the program your enrolment is complete.
Good luck at being accepted into the program!!
Please note that once the student numbers are reached for this class enrolments will be denied. Capping at 40 students this year.
Summer Intensive Workshop Videos:
Day 1 & 2: Introduction to speech and drama, team building and fundamentals of drama.
Day 3: TV ads, movie making and performance building.